Sunday, January 4, 2015

A Year in Review

2013 sucked. 2014 was even worse. I totally hit rock bottom this year so here's to 2015... Life can't get any worse!*knock on wood*

January

Photo booth fun! ‪#‎NYE

 
Unbelievably excited about my new water purifier! ‪#‎mavea‬ ‪#‎williamssonoma‬


And it's back! ‪#‎siriusxm‬ ‪#‎longestmonthever‬ 

Happy Birthday to my sister who is prettier, smarter, the favorite of everyone... ‪#‎youknowitstrue‬


Apparently getting stuck five times within 2 miles of your house has its benefits... No work for me today!

February

I've missed these precious 1st graders so much! They always have so much to say but my favorite was a complement I got today. When one of the girls recognized me she exclaimed, "You look beautiful Ms. Schweitzer! Are you going on a date after school?" ‪#‎iwish‬

There are many reasons why I'm convinced I nanny for a genius but I'll just share one. On our way home from the community center this afternoon, Grace starts counting, "1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. There are 13 cars passing by us." ‪#‎19montholdgenius‬ 

Renewed my driver's license last Monday and much to my surprise, I received it in the mail today. I've always liked my driver's license photos but I am in love with this one, like I would pay money for a copy! #25

Seriously if the character Shemar Moore plays on Criminal Minds was real......wowzers! He adores Penelope so much, it makes my heart melt! Elizabeth Mary I just started watching this show.....I might arm wrestle you for your man  

This afternoon, I received an email from my mentor teacher reading, "I know you don't need to teach math this semester, but would you be willing to teach a few lessons and lead math stations next week?" Of course I said yes and hopefully this means I'm doing something right and not that I need more practice. 

Discovered Sour Patch Kids Gum. It tastes just like the candy!

 I went online to RSVP for commencement and discovered I am graduating with honors so I get a medallion! Three years ago, I never thought I would graduate with my B.A. degree in Early Childhood Education let alone with honors but it is pretty exciting to see all my hard work pay off!

Not too thrilled about having to drive 3 hours for a one hour meeting however, I have The Morning Mashup on Hits 1 and Andy Stanley and Eagle Brook Church podcasts to keep me company!

On my drive, I passed Hardees, Alco, and Taco Johns which reminded me of all the dreadful roadtrips my family took to South Dakota back in the day. I don't know how people live in the country because I would die of boredom. Where are my shopping malls, fancy restaurants, car dealerships and most of all, where the heck is Target?

My nanny family is on vacation for two weeks but Grace just called me. It was so great to hear her voice and I look forward to giving her tons of hugs and kisses when I see her in March!

We've run out of places to put the snow so I think winter should be over. ‪#‎snowmageddon‬ 

We were on our way to Rudolph's and our car got stuck on a hill. Thanks to the hipster who came and helped get us out!
Taught science for the first time today and I am happy to say I knocked it out of the park!

March

Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches, Criminal Minds and Castle= Best Cake Ever! #25

Taught a mini lesson on the letter Y this afternoon and my friend, Sneaky Spy "Detective Y" was a huge hit!

 If I ever get murdered this is why. ‪#‎keysinthedoor‬ ‪#‎hoodproblems‬ 

Just spent my 3 hour drive to Marshall laughing, crying and learning a ton from Eagle Brook and Andy Stanley podcasts! Now if only it could be Wednesday at 3 so I could do it all over again.

First thing I did when I got to my hotel room was check under the bed, in the closet, behind the curtains and in the bathtub for dead bodies. ‪#‎iwatchtoomuchtv‬
— at Comfort Inn.
This morning, I met my 2nd graders for the very first time and we had a great day! I had students tell me I was a fun teacher, other students told me they really enjoyed my lessons and when I was observed, the observers had nothing bad to say. I thought this week in Marshall was going to be horrible but I was wrong and I know I'm going to have tons of fun!
April
This school year has been the most stressful year of my life. I don't sleep and I have no social life but my hard work has paid off. I passed all my observations with flying colors and was told over and over, "A school will be lucky to get you and so will your students!" I LOVED every single minute of teaching and wish I could have had a professor observe all my lessons! In fact, I may or may not have ran out of the room at one point to chase down a professor in the hallway and invite them in. Yeah, I'm that girl!  :-)

Received a super sweet e-mail from the 2nd grade teacher whose classroom I took over earlier this week reading, "You should be commended! The students and I reviewed what you talked about with them and they showed me their weather spinners. They sang the Water Cycle song 2 times for me and I was going to ask them to sing again so I could write down the words—so thank you for sending them. They remembered sooo much! You worked hard and I appreciate the knowledge that you passed on to them. I really believe that they will remember your weather lessons as a highlight of second grade! God bless! I hope that you decide that a teaching career is in your future! Children need people like you!"
Dinner out and celebrating Liz's birthday. Complete with sparkler!

Today was day three at St. David's and I was already offered a job. This is totally out of my element but I took it and I know I will learn a lot!

If you ask Maci a question she'll tilt her head like she's really trying to understand you.

My 3rd grade class is challenging to say the least but I've had quite a few breakthroughs lately. Today, we had state testing in the afternoon. As my class was going in I stopped a student who has made significant progress and I got all teary. He asked why I was so sad. I said, "I'm not sad. I am so proud of you! You have come so far and you are a great reader! Take your time because I know you can do this!" He gave me a hug and walked in. It's killing me not having been able to touch base with him at the end of the day but it makes me all the more excited to see him tomorrow.
 This dog is something else. She got ahold of an Exacto Knife and took off running. She loves the game of chase and was waging her tail the whole entire time!


May

The countdown is on! ‪#‎graduation‬


Seven years in the making and I could not be more excited! ‪#‎graduation‬


It's Teacher Appreciation Week and Mrs. Rodriguez will have a nice surprise waiting for her when she returns to school tomorrow!


I wish I could say I am only this prepped for the lessons my university supervisor observes but no, this is me during every lesson I teach. This is also why I don't sleep and have no social life. :-)



Tonight I'm staying at a brand new hotel. It's super modern, I've got a bigscreen TV, Jacuzzi and king size bed... I don't think I'm ever going to leave!
— at Sleep Inn and Suites.

So I "graduated" today with my BA degree in Early Childhood Education!



None of us ever thought I would go to school and graduate with my B.A. degree but here we are 7 years later. ‪#‎ididit‬




Poppin' tassels! ‪#‎graduation 


Met my mentor teacher today and she's a yeller. I think we're going to get along...
On a serious note though, the staff seems really fun and supportive and I'm looking forward to seeing how these children enrich my life. #studentteaching

June

Some people are worth melting for.

Backstreets back...ALRIGHT! Sooo pumped for the concert tonight.

Today, I decided I am not putting my dream of writing a children's book off any longer. I signed up for a Children's Story Writing course and I could not be more excited about it. ‪#‎stopwishingstartdoing‬
Strawberry Picking!

"This music is obnoxious. What do you think?" "Yes, but I'm from the Northside so this is my jam!" ‪#‎turndownforwhat‬ 
Alert the media! ‪#‎babytoad‬ 

July

Tonight for dinner, I made grilled Strawberries and Strawberry Quesadillas. ‪#‎delicious‬
Chillin', Breezin', Sippin', Singin' whoaoaoh ‪#‎Beachin‬'
Murder on the Trolley!

Road Trip!
(Insert photo of Mace with a fry)
Largest Candy Store
August
First Sonic experience! What's good?
"Tippin' ain't just for cows." ‪#‎myburger 

If I have three boys I want to name them: Lincoln, Dakota, and Neville. ‪#‎truestory‬
Today, I met with my new mentor teacher. I was pleasantly surprised to hear she is religious and so are 7 other teachers in the wing of our classroom. She said they meet every Monday morning in her room for prayer and I am excited to take part in that!
Is there such thing as Back to School nesting? Because, if there is, I've definitely got it!
Okay, those Bacon Mac & Cheese chips from Lay's are amazingly delicious! ‪#‎buythemnow‬ ‪#‎couldeatthewholebag‬ 
Six hour student teaching meeting to go over student teaching, licensing, and edTA.
  
 Look ma, no cavities!
Just hit the jackpot at Vera Bradley! ‪#‎grandopening 
I'm a good candidate for Lasik!
  
Thanks to Lakeshore Learning Center I now have super fun activities to go along with the book, First Day Jitters. ‪#‎backtoschool‬ 
Target finally got the "Reading Discovery" books that all my fellow teacher bloggers are raving about and tonight I bought a few. ;-)
Just wrote my first "Meet the Teacher" letter!
Spent the majority of my morning in tears but I am so grateful for the time I had at St. David's. ‪#‎lastday‬
Got myself some comfy shoes! ‪#‎studentteaching‬ ‪#‎dansko‬ 
Totally in love with my new team members! In between meetings today, a huge group of us chatted about Eagle Brook and River Valley Church. Still unsure about the whole teaching thing but I'm glad I have made connections and am learning alongside a group of passionate and energetic teachers! ‪#‎studentteaching‬ 
The car dealership is like a modern day Cheers. It's a place where everybody knows my name! ‪#‎makesabaddaybetter‬

September

Cutting my sandwiches in hearts this year to remind myself that Jesus Loves me.

Twas the night before school the teacher was nervous, but her bag was packed.
Tomorrow she'll greet the kiddos with a smile and the stuff in her pack. ‪#‎studentteaching‬ 


I am blown away by all the texts, tweets, snaps, emails, and phone calls I received today. The last few months or year for that matter have been beyond stressful and so I just wanted to say thank you, thank you, THANK YOU to all those who have lifted me up and encouraged me. It means everything to me!!

Fear is only temporary but regret lasts a lifetime.

October

Fostering community relationships at 8 in the morning! ‪#‎staffdevelopment‬ 

MEA break day two! Such a great day to go for a hike at Minnehaha Falls. Now, we're off to My Burger and to take the dogs for a walk!!

Ghost Trolley Late Show!
November
 So I spent the evening creating lesson plans only to discover that I created lesson plans for this whole unit last year at Rice Lake. At least I can go to bed now! :-) 
All you need is love and a dog.

Sometimes we need the fog to remind ourselves that all of life is not black and white.


This year I am especially grateful for Fernbrook Elementary school and my 1st grade class. The other day we read a book and afterwards I had three students share what they were thankful for:
1. I am thankful we have more than one day to live here on Earth.
2. I am thankful for my church where I get to go every Sunday to worship God.
3. I am thankful for the people in the army and navy- the ones who protect our country and our freedom.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

December

I'm not too sure about the next generation...
Today during math I wrote, "#22" and my 1st graders thought it was a hashtag which it is but it's also a symbol for number. Later during reading I drew a book with the word, "text" and my students exclaimed, "Text. You mean text message?!"

 Santa wanted some Chinese too!

Tour of Lights


Last day at Fernbrook but this school will always have a special place in my heart because it's where my confidence and passion to teach were restored. ‪#‎grateful‬



No comments:

Post a Comment