Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Angry Verbs


We are going to play a game called, Simon Says. Has anyone ever played a game of Simon Says before? Here are the rules:

1.     When Simon Says to do an action you do it but if Simon does not say to do an action do not do it.

2.     If you do something when Simon did not say to do it then you must sit back down in your chair. Are you ready?



Okay, Simon says rub your belly. Simon says raise your hand. Jump up and down. Oh, Simon did not say to jump up and down. If you did it then you need to sit down in your chair. For those of you who are still standing up let’s try that again. Simon says nod your head up and down. Simon says to yawn. Clap your hands. Oh, Simon did not say to clap your hands. If you did then you need to sit down in your chair. Okay, one more time. Simon says shake your hair back and forth. Run in place. Oh no, Simon did not say to run in place. If you did then you need to sit down in your chair. 1st graders, you did a great job! Give a classmate a high five on your way down to the floor.  



Did you know you just acted out a bunch of verbs? Jumping, rubbing, raising, nodding, yawning, shaking, and running are all verbs. A verb is an action word. Repeat after me, a verb is an action word. A verb is anything you do such as kicking, jumping, and walking. Raise your hand if you can think of another example of verbs?



We are going to read a book about verbs. It is a silly book and it is okay to giggle but you must be able to control your body. If you get too silly or cannot stop giggling, I am going to ask you to take a break. We are going to read, “To Root, to Toot, to Parachute- What is a Verb?” As I am reading pay special attention to the words in color because those are verbs. 



So, what is a verb? Yes, verbs are action words. I would like us to create a list of verbs. A verb is anything you do such as kick, jump and walk. Raise your hand if you can think of another example of verbs? This is a great list! I have something else I want us to do, but first, I need everyone to slide over to the smart board.



I want to see if we can find the verb within a sentence. A verb is what again? On the board you see ten sentences. I want you to take turns coming up and circling the verb or action word in each sentence below. We found all ten verbs! Give yourselves a pat on the back. 





We are going to do a super fun activity. Instead of making Angry Birds, we are going to make Angry Verbs. (Thank you Step Into Second Grade for the great idea!) Each of you is going to get a piece of paper that reads, “My angry bird _______.” There are five prompts like this on your piece of paper are you are going to fill in the blanks with a verb. Brady, give me a verb. So my sentence would read, “My angry bird run.” The sentence does not make sense unless so I need to add an –s to it. Now the sentence reads, “My angry bird runs.” You will need to add an –s to the end of the verb you write. Let’s try another one. P, “My angry bird ___. Can you give me a verb that will complete my sentence?” Good! Does anyone have any questions about the writing part?



Once you are done completing all five sentence prompts I want you to raise your hand. Mrs. R or myself will come and double check. Once one of us has looked at your paper you can come up to the front and get what you need to create your angry bird.



I have red, blue, and yellow birds. Each bird has feathers or hair, eyes, and a beak. I will have a spot for the blue bird and his facial parts, a spot for the yellow bird and his facial parts and another spot for the red bird and his facial parts. I will also have completed examples on the floor too so you can see what your bird might look like when it is done. Does anyone have questions about our angry birds? Okay, so- five sentences, check with a teacher, create your bird. E, what are the three steps? Good. 

This right here is why I get 3 hours of sleep a night. I know, I need to let go of my control issues. :-)

We hung our Angry Verbs in the hallway and received numerous compliments from students, teachers, and parents.

First one, "My angry bird surfs!" Love it!!
Not all verbs but we'll work on it!

 
This has been my favorite lesson so far and I cannot wait to teach it again in the next year or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment