Sunday, November 10, 2013

Digraphs

Below is the sound of the week lesson I am teaching tomorrow:



This is Thumper. He is a rabbit from the movie Bambi and he always taps foot like this and that is how he got the name, Thumper. Thumper starts with the letters th. Does anyone know what sound the th in Thumper starts with? That's right, th. To make that you stock your tongue out a teeny tiny bit in between your teeth and when you blow, you'll make the th sound. On the count of three, we are going to say th as a class. One two three th. One more time. One two three th. And again, one two three. Great job, you all sound like thinking Thumpers! This time, I want us to tap our foot as we say the th sound. In just a minute, everyone will stand up and as a class we will tap our foot and say th. We are not going to stomp or foot, we are going to tap our foot. Your heel always stay on the ground. Alright, everyone stand up. On the count of tree, we are going to tap our foot and say th. One two three, th. Again, one two three, th. Last time, one two three, th.  Nicely done! You may sit back down.
On the white board is a poem called, My Thumbs. I an going to read it and as I am reading be listening for th words. My thumbs help me do so much. There's so much they can do. Throw a ball. Pull a thread. How about you? I am going to read it one more tine and I really want you to turn your listening ears on because I am going to ask four students to cone to the board and circle the th words. My thumbs help me do so much. There's so much they can do. Throw a ball. Pull a thread. How about you? Put your thumb in the air if you see atleast one word in or poem that starts with the th sound. I see lots of thumbs, let's see who will be the first to the board...

Thumbs, there, throw, and thread all have the th sound in the beginning of the word. The th sound can be at the end of a word too. Take with for example. The th sound is at the end of the word. What's this word? Path, that's right and where is the th sound in the word path? Yes, it's at the end of the word... Path. We know with, path, thumbs, there, there and thread all start or end with the th sound but I am curious to see what words you guys know so we are going to create a list. Raise your hand if you know of a word that starts or ends with the th sound. Wow! I am impressed, you guys know lots of words that start or end with the th sound.

I have one more challenge for you. I am going to read a list of words and just like we did before, I want you to tap your foot and say th when you hear the th sound. Alright, everyone stand up. This first word is practice, I am going to say a word and you are going to tap your foot and say th when you hear the th sound. Here's the word... Math. Good! One more... Teeth. Good job, now I need you to really turn your listening ears on because I am going to start by reading the words slow but then I am going to get faster and faster. Give me a thumps up if you're ready to play! Alright first word is,Earth. Math, thank, thick, thirty, sixth, Thanksgiving, wreath, tablecloth, throat, thunder, bath, earth, thread, thumbs, teeth, math, mouth, third, thing, underneath, birthday. Show 5... Show 5. Raise your hand if you know where the th sound is in birthday? That's right, in the middle. We know a lot of words start or end with the th sound but sometimes, the th sound can be in the middle of the word. Great listening, that was a tricky one! You may sit down. 

**I plan on using this lesson again but next time using words that do not have the th sound in them while playing the game. Kids were constantly tapping their foot but other than that, this lesson went great! Every child was able to list words that start or end with the th sound so it was a successful lessson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment