Thursday, August 2, 2012

How to Hug a Vampire

Steven Furtick's church is in North Carolina so I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to watch him preach live, but I am grateful I can watch his messages online.

How to Hug a Vampire Part 1: We All Suck!


Notes I took out of the sermon:
- Loving the people who suck life out of you starts with realizing how much you suck too.
- It's impossible to help anyone else before embracing humility in yourself. 
- Put down the magnifying glass and pick up a mirror!
- Before you can really reach out to anybody else, you've got to define your own property lines. (Boundaries, Henry Cloud)
- You can give unconditional love without giving unrestricted access (Boundaries are Biblical)
- Can't help people who need help, can only help people who want help
  - Some people you can love long distance. Jesus needs to hug that person for you
- Certain things you can do for people and certain things you can't even though you love them and there's wisdom to help you do this. 
- *I can help you bury your burden but I CANNOT carry your load for you!
- It's not the load that breaks you down, it's how you carry it. 
- When withdrawls exceed deposits bankrupcy is inevitabe no matter how much you love them or God. There will come a time when you have nothing left to give. 
- Frustration is the gap between what I expect and what I experience.
- Lower expectations or be frustrated 24/7. Or, let God fill the gap between what you expect and what you experience and place expectation on the One who is able to wear it on His shoulders and bare it on His back, the One who died on the cross.

Bible Verses:
Romans 12: 9- 18
Romans 7: 21- 25
Romans 5:8
1 Timothy 1:15-16
Matthew 7: 1- 5
Boundaries are Biblical: Psalm 1:1, Proverbs 4:23, Matthew 16:18, Matthew 18: 15- 17, Titus 3:10 Galatians 6: 1-5

If you watch the sermon, leave a comment telling me what hit you the hardest.

God Bless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment