Sunday, August 11, 2013

WCAGLS and Patrick Lencioni

Last week I attended The Global Leadership Summit. It was a lot to take in so I am still reviewing my notes, but it was a great experience. Patrick Lencioni was beyond awesome!! People had told me he was a great speaker but I had never even heard of him. They were right, he was hilarious! He was a little ADD which totally helped keep me engaged and focused. Below you will find some of my notes from his session.

3 Things Cause Job Misery:
1. Anonymity
2. Irrelevance
3. Immeasurement

Get to know the people you work with.

We are called to love the people who work with us. 

Management is a ministry.

Money is a satisfier, these 3 (anonymity, irrelevance, and immeasurement) are drivers.

Good people don't leave places they are known. 

If you don't think your job is relevant, you cannot love your work. 

Remind people why their job matters. 

When we give a person the ability to measure their performance it takes away our power. That's a good thing! 

I could relate to Patrick's session because last year around this time, I left my job for those exact 3 reasons. I've always stayed at companies for 3-5 years. When I do decide leave I stress and cry over the thought of having to leave even though I know it is what's best for me. I cry for the entire two weeks after I give my notice and I am bawling on my last day. Last year though, I could not wait to leave. I was so excited and hopeful that my new job would be better and it is. I wanted to be known. I wanted to feel valued. I wanted to know that what I was doing mattered and made a difference. I wanted feedback. At my current job, I have all that plus more and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment