Sunday, May 13, 2012

Deer

My friend sent me this... Pretty much sums up what happened.

On Tuesday night around 8:30- 8:45, I hit a deer. I was driving home from church like I've done hundreds of times. I was on 694 between the Anoka and 35W exit. It was a construction zone so the lanes were narrow. There was a barrier and I was driving right next to the barrier. I thought I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. I don't even remember if I had time to look over and the next thing I know this giant brown thing hit the drivers side hood/ mirror. I was going 60mph. The deer fell in between the barrier and my car and rode it out. He was fumbling around and parts of my car were flying off. It all happened so fast I just kept thinking, "Did that really just happen and please tell me that was a deer!" It looked like a deer, but with all this Amy Senser stuff I started panicking. The deer got up and ran across probably to die in the woods. My airbag didn't deploy and nothing was in the way of my wheel so I kept driving. I got my car to my best friends house and she was dying of laughter. She hit a deer years ago and never got her car fixed so she was pretty excited our cars looked the same. I was not amused- just sunk in the drivers seat. I just spent $7000 in repairs on my car and now this happened. I freak when this car gets a scratch and now a scratch was the least of my concerns. 
Luckily, I had Wednesday off so I called the insurance company. They asked when it happened, the city, were there any passengers, any prior damage on the car, did I call the cops, where the damage is and many other q's I can't remember. I still don't know, are you supposed to call the cops? I only have a $250 deductible on my car. I didn't know that, but was so grateful to see it was that low. My State Farm Agent gave me the number for American Auto Body in Brooklyn Park- they have free loaner cars and I don't have rental car coverage on my policy. On Friday State Farm called me to see if i had taken my car, to ask how I was, and go over the process for fixing my vehicle. Friday afternoon I took my car in and they gave me a Ford Fusion. I am in love with this car! Awesome stereo, great gas mileage (I drive an SUV so I'm used to 15 mpg), and all the controls are on my steering wheel! The car is very quiet (mine has a loud transmission) and it can go from 0 to 60 pretty darn fast! It's going to be hard to give it back :) I'll find out tomorrow how bad the damage was and if the radiator or anything in the engine is affected. The only thing I noticed was my blinker was blinking super fast, but by the next day it worked like normal again. 
I walked away completely fine and I am so grateful for that. Luckily, there were no cars behind me or to the side of me- the accident could have been so much worse. Someone was most definitely watching out for me!
Headlight points up into the sky and blinker fell off.
Best view of the damage.
Part above my tire totally cut- barely holding on. Lots of hair too!
2007 Ford Fusion

No comments:

Post a Comment