Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Five Little Chicks


I won this book a few months ago from a contest put on by Little One Books. I had never read the book or heard of the author, but it is a very cute spring story. I have used it with toddlers and my Pre- K class which is 3 and 4 year olds. The chicks go out in search of food to eat. One chick goes out first and then the second comes to join and so on (counting). The food they find are things the kids would see in the spring like worms, ladybugs, a red strawberry. That isn't what chickens are supposed to eat and Pre- K got that right away. At the end of the story, the chicks run to the patch and peck all day in the corn patch with mama. What I liked most about this book was that I was able to adjust the level to challenge both the toddlers and Pre- K with comprehension questions, counting, colors, and applying the story to real life concepts they are familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment